Friday, March 14, 2014

A Week in Indy- Emily Cassimatis

This week was the best week I have had since I started college. 
Whether it was working hard on service projects, laughing, or eating, the Indianpolis trip to me was all about connections and relationships. I understand that the trip was supposed to be about agriculture and sustainibility and poverty, but to me those were just basic outlines that the trip fell in to. We did learn about agriculture and sustainibility with Linda Proffitt and we learned about poverty with Mary Province and Brooks Barrick, but it was the relationships that these people made, as well as their personal stories, that really stuck with me. I remember when Mary Province was telling her story about living in the "hood" and how she viewed prostitutes and drug dealers and neighbors and even as friends. This struck a chord with me the most, because I feel as though I have personally fallen victim to judging people based on their social status, and I think we all do. I mean what comes to mind when you think of a homeless person? We think of them as less than us, but the more I heard Mary speak, the more I realized that even though a person may have less than I do, it does not make them less of a person. 
After coming to this realization I started to really listen to the people on this trip with me, because I think when we truly accept those around us, we become more inspired about the things that make them different from us. The people on this trip with me are incredible and unique individuals. They are brilliant and caring and have the most incredible hearts... I mean who would give up their spring break to do a service trip somewhere cold?! 
This group of people has become a group of friends outside of my "usual" 
They have inspired me to be confident in what I do and I know I will be the first to sign up for this trip again next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment