Friday, March 14, 2014

Immersion Trip 2014- Savanna Stanley

Week in Indy 
I honestly really enjoyed this trip so much. Going into this trip I thought we would just be volunteering at a farm and that's it. But little did I know, I learned so much more about myself than I would have imagined. I had so much fun getting to know all of the interesting and diverse people on the trip and how we all came together as a family. I really loved working with Global Peace Initiatives and learning from Linda. Linda had so much knowledge and passion about this organization and I loved listening to her. As an agriculture major, I always thought I wanted to go into the fancier part of the agriculture business and make the big bucks. But after seeing what Linda does for the community and the impact she makes on others, makes me consider all of the possibilities I have with an agriculture degree. Working with Rebuilding The Wall was such a moving experience because Mary's story touched all of us and made us all realize just how good we have it. I reflected on my ex-boyfriends story and related that back to the families and children we were helping by painting that house. I know it's not always esay for families to get back on their feet and although I've never expierenced difficult times personally, I understand the pain and hurt families feel. I also took away how thankful and blessed I am to have grown up with the family I did and with the support, time and money that were poured into my childhood. I would never be where I am today without my parents support and just imagining kids without any support is just heartbreaking and that's why organizations like Lindas, Marys, and Brooks are so important. Working in Brooks church on Thursday made me analyze my life on a deeper more religious level and I was thankful for that chance. Religion has always been a situation where I had the power to choose what I believed in and cleaning that big church just made me rethink a lot of things. This expierence was importan for my conscience and now I have a better understanding in what my religious beliefs are and I am grateful for that. Overall this week in Indianapolis was amazing. I learned so much, matured, and I really think I will take a lot away from this expierence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment