Friday, March 14, 2014

Goodbye Indy - Makaila Schieber

It has been one of the most inspiring and amazing weeks I have ever had. We were fortunate enough to work with some of Indianapolis' most generous and hard-working people. Working with Linda Proffitt at Global Peace Initiatives, Mary Provence at Rebuilding the Wall, and Brooks Barrick at Olive Branch Christain Church provided us with an insight into some of the great service work that is being done in Indy. All have different areas of Indy that they focus on, and each has a very different way of serving their community, but what I found is that each one of them took pride in their community and worked to make it better. 

This week has taught me that there is no one way to volunteer and no matter how small the work may seem, it really is the little things that count. Coming back to Springfield, I am bringing back a new perspective on people and how I relate to them. This week opened my mind up to so much. I hope to come back and tackle some of the issues that we learned about this week because there is social injustice everywhere, including Springfield. 

I was also honored to serve the city of Indianapolis alongside some of the funniest, craziest, and most kind-hearted people I have ever met. I made 11 new friends this week while exploring a city that I had never been to before. I am sad to leave Indy, but I am proud to say that we have made our mark and helped a city with a lot of need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment